The NI Music Prize has announced the details of a new award category Video of The Year for 2022.
Supported by YouTube Music, the Video of The Year Award has been introduced to recognise the growing number of music videos being released by Northern Irish artists.
The NI Music Prize is an annual award celebration of music from Northern Ireland. Coordinated by the Oh Yeah Music, it takes place at the Ulster Hall on 16th November and includes performances from shortlisted acts and special guests. Winners of the other categories are announced on the night, including Album, Single, Live Act and BBC ATL Artist. The event also features two special awards, the Oh Yeah Legend and Outstanding Contribution to Music.
This latest award for music video will be open for submissions on 23rd August with the winning video being announced at the awards on November 16th at the Ulster Hall.
Charlotte Dryden from Oh Yeah said: “The Oh Yeah Centre’s strong partnership with YouTube Music combined with the ever increasing number of artists at all levels producing and utilising the power of a really good music video made for a perfect match when deciding to introduce this new award. YouTube is a platform for music videos, but it has also been incredibly supportive of our commitment to championing Northern Irish music through our work in talent development, Sound of Belfast and the NI Music Prize. We are excited about this new strand and delighted to have the support of YouTube Music”.
Corbyn Asbury, Label Relations, YouTube UK said: “We love the Northern Irish Music prize and we’re so proud to have been involved for the last few years. Our ethos at YouTube Music is to champion UK artists and enable them to reach fans globally, so we’re excited to be once again celebrating some of the best and brightest talent in Northern Ireland. It’s always an incredibly special evening”
Please read the criteria for entry below before submitting your video.
- Video Submissions are open Tuesday 23rd August 2022 – Tuesday 6th September
- Submissions must be music videos created specifically to promote and support the release of a single released between 15th July 2021 – 14th July 2022
- Submissions should be made by the band/act/management or fans of the band.
- Video must be hosted on YouTube and is available to the public for viewing as part of the single release campaign. No private links.
- We will not accept live footage from gigs or shows unless it was captured with the intention of producing a video to promote a single release.
- We will not accept TV appearances, vlogs, studio, podcast clips or sessions.
- We will not accept documentary or art project submissions.
Our panel will be asked to consider the following criteria:
- originality of concept
- technical expertise and execution
- effectiveness of the video in showcasing or promoting the music
- creativity and inventiveness of the video, in terms of delivery, interpretation of the role or, where relevant, the casting
- emotional impact of the video
- creative contribution of the specific craft or technical skill to the video
Prize for winning video is £1,000 and the winner will be announced on Wednesday 16th November.